Creating a professional looking slideshow is not something reserved for photographers, designers or photo savvy people as you may believe. With a bit of time and by knowing which pitfalls to avoid anyone can learn how to make a stunning photo slideshow that they can be proud to share with everyone.
To create an amazing slideshow you need to know the two things that are essential to slideshow making: Video and Audio. To do this right we should split this explanation into two parts. In the first we’ll explain what is the best way to make your slideshow so the visual side of things is up to standard and next we will talk about the background music that goes with the slideshow and how to choose it.
Making your slideshow:
1. The first thing you should do is to make a good selection of pictures you want to show off in your slideshow. Make sure you choose the best looking ones and the ones that will have the most impact on your viewers. A tip we have for you here is to crop your images to the same aspect ratio. Making sure all your photos have a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio will make your slideshow look a lot more professional while transitioning from one picture to the next.
2. The second thing you should do is to figure out where you want to make your slideshow. There are several websites that can help you do this but for the sake of simplicity we will talk about how you can make a slideshow using our online slideshow maker.
3. Start off by going to our slideshow maker page and begin uploading your photos. You can add them from various sources including: Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Picasa and of course your own computer or mobile device.
4. Make sure to choose a template that fits your slideshow. Some themes work great for family slideshows while others will work better for more professional slideshows. Choose wisely.
5. Check the aspect ratio. Make sure your you choose the same aspect ratio for the slideshow as you did the pictures. This way you will occupy your entire work space and not show borders..
6. Make small adjustments. Adjust the order of your photos, the time between slides, add or remove image info, add an option to loop your slideshow and add share buttons or navigation buttons.
Before moving to the last part of making a slideshow let’s take a look at some mistakes that should be avoided.
The Pitfalls of Making a Slideshow:
Knowing how to make a good slideshow is just the part of what you need to know. There are also many pitfalls that you can fall into when trying to make a slideshow or video. Sometimes even the most experience editors fall into some of these pitfalls. Let’s find out more:
1. Poor color choices. This is something that amateur designers and editors do all the time. A good rule of thumb is to always use dark color text on a light color background and keep the colors theme simple and consistent over your entire slideshow.
2. Cluttered design. Everyone has heard that less is more but in design this is where the saying is most important. Keep it simple but deliver your message. Don’t cover your photos with too many animations and clip art.
3. Forgetting your audience. Remember who it is that will see your slideshow. If it’s designed to be seen by your family then it’s best to keep it clean of text and content. However if it’s designed as a business presentation you should focus more on the content.
4. Non captivating images. Don’t just throw any pictures in your slideshow. Give your pictures a bit of thought and make sure they convey the meaning they should. Additionally make sure your photos are crisp, sharp, high quality large pictures.
You’re nearly done with your slideshow. Now all you have to do is choose a great song to go with your slideshow. Check out the second part of our article entitled “How to make a slideshow with Music” to learn more about how a good song can make or break your production.